Head of Civil Section Works and Operations Office
EPO - European Patent Office
Directorate Buildings, Technical Installations and Property
EPO The Hague (NL)
The European Patent Office (EPO) is looking for an energetic, proactive, flexible and internationally minded professional, with thorough knowledge and practical experience of utilities engineering and a solid people management background, to work as Head of the Civil Works and Operations Office Section in its Technical Services The Hague Department.
Technical Services The Hague is part of the Buildings, Technical Installations and Property Directorate, which is in charge of building projects and the technical management of EPO-owned buildings.
The head of section will provide a range of expert and operational administrative services and manage a team of four, while ensuring alignment with EPO rules and business goals.
- Being responsible for the Civil Works and Operations Office team, including team members' work;
- Supervising and managing all civil engineering contracts (up to EUR 5 600 000 in value) and related projects with a value of up to EUR 500 000;
- Being responsible for keeping the buildings, constructions and grounds in good condition, meeting the applicable standards, and for compliance with building and fire safety regulations;
- Ensuring that the team closely supervises work carried out by contractors;
- Ensuring that technical documentation is up to date;
- Being responsible for the procurement process for all work falling under the section's remit;
- Ensuring that all user requests falling under the section's remit (from small repairs to large projects) are examined and, where approved, the requested work performed;
- Preparing information for management and decision documents on all process optimisations analysed, and continually looking for potential improvements;
- Monitoring budgets, cost estimates, calculations, verifications and cost controlling for projects supervised, and preparing operational expenditure and investment forecasts.
The ideal candidate will have
- A bachelor's degree in architecture, civil engineering, facility management or an equivalent discipline;
- At least five years' line management experience, very good interpersonal skills and a motivational leadership style;
- At least five years' experience in building fire safety, turnkey projects, maintenance and setting up processes;
- Proven project-management experience, ideally supplemented by experience in outsourcing services and managing change;
- The ability to work analytically and conceptually, in a well-organised way, and to meet deadlines;
- The ability to negotiate in Dutch (desirable);
- Intercultural understanding and international experience (especially in working with staff from different countries).
- Diploma of completed university studies at bachelor’s level or – in exceptional cases – equivalent professional experience;
- Working knowledge of two of the EPO's official languages (English, French and German);
- Citizenship of one of the member states of the European Patent Organisation.
Salary and benefits
The EPO offers competitive salaries, an excellent social package, and varied work in a modern international environment. The net (basic) monthly salary* for this vacancy ranges from EUR 5 349.13 to EUR 6 751.33, depending on experience. In addition, depending on their personal circumstances, EPO staff may be entitled to relocation benefits and various allowances (e.g. household, dependants', childcare, education, expatriation, installation, rent and language allowance).
* after deduction of EPO internal tax and before deduction of staff contributions to the social-security and pension schemes.
Duration of the contract
The contract will be for the duration of five years, with possibility of extension. Subsequent appointment as permanent employee may be possible if conditions laid down in the EPO Service Regulations are fulfilled.
At the end of our selection process, we may place suitable candidates on a reserve list for a limited period of time. Being on a reserve list does not guarantee a job offer or imply any entitlement to employment at the EPO. You will be considered automatically for vacancies in your field. No action is required on your part unless we contact you.
Procedure and timeframe
The successful candidate will be selected on the basis of qualifications and experience, supplemented as appropriate by interviews, tests and/or a personality questionnaire.
It is intended to hold the interviews on 11.07.2017 in The Hague.
Please apply online, using this link, reference number EUR/4461.
Application until: 6 June 2017.