MES Lead Engineer
Summary of Role:
The Manufacturing Execution Systems (MES) Lead Engineer is responsible for the successful technical delivery of MES projects to our customers through Europe. The Lead Engineer will be working in a team with MES Consultants (subject matter experts) and MES engineers (based in different countries in Europe).
The Lead Engineer will start working with the customer towards the end of the proposal phase, together with an MES Consultant and a Project Manager. Once the project starts, the Lead Engineer will take overall responsibility for complete technical delivery of the project from Functional Specification through to supporting site acceptance activities.
The Lead Engineer will take day-to-day responsibility for the project, leading and supervising members of the team, coordinating solutions to technical queries and providing input on schedule and estimate to complete to the Project Manager(s).
The Lead Engineer shall fully support the overall business growth objectives by utilizing their skills and experience to support the sales and proposals team in the pursuit of new business opportunities.
- Work effectively with customer and sales team to understand the customer’s business needs, how a proposed solution will address those needs and be able to articulate this to the project team, and any third parties;
- Be the client’s point of contact on all technical issues;
- Perform high-level technical analysis and evaluation;
- Demonstrate our product and services capabilities;
- Train and lead a team of engineers to successfully implement Manufacturing Execution System (MES) small and medium sized projects. Delegate portions of the project to MES Senior Engineers and Technical Specialists as per the project resources;
- Focus on best practices and Emerson quality standards to create an atmosphere of success and sustainability in the project;
- Ensure that the Project Manager is fully informed, at the earliest opportunity, of any customer initiated changes in scope;
- Support the Project Manager in the development of a realistic and achievable project schedule;
- Ensuring the Project Quality Checklist is completed with the Project Manager, and that Quality and Project Management Plan is implemented accurately;
- Define functional requirements through client interviews and documentation analysis and develop detailed designs that meet client requirements (solution includes technical documentation required for validated facilities);
- Develop the project design review and code review processes;
- Develop project template documents;
- Ensure that the defined requirements are delivered through good implementation (based on project configuration guidelines) and testing;
- Define a solution architecture that includes scope, sizing, system/operational requirements, integration/collaboration, project estimations and execution approach;
- Technical interface with procurement to develop the procurement list, including detailed specifications for any sub-contracted works and services where relevant, along with required delivery dates;
- Mentor trainee engineers in MES theory, software configuration and best practices;
- Create an inclusive and supportive environment for all personnel within the project team and actively support team members in achieving any personal development objectives that may have been set for the project.
- Engineering degree or equivalent, with at least 7 years experience in the MES business with focus on the life-science industry, and a proven track record in project execution;
- Excellent knowledge of MES systems (some e.g. Emerson Syncade, Rockwell ProPack Data, Werum PAS-X, POMSnet);
- Significant experience implementing projects in a validated environment;
- Projects will be primarily in the biotech and pharmaceutical industry, so previous experience of delivering projects in a validated environment is essential;
- Working experience in a dynamic and fast-paced environment;
- Personal credibility in front of customers is essential;
- Proven project management/project leadership experience (managing scope and timescales);
- Proven experience of MES project design (including high-level front end design, functional design and detailed design);
- Proven experience with MES project execution (requirements analysis, design definition, design review, software development and review, solution implementation, testing and acceptance, traceability);
- Ability to quickly learn new skills and technologies;
- Ability to communicate effectively with customers and employees at different levels in the organization;
- Proficient in English with a second European language (e.g: French, German, Italian etc.).
- Knowledge of DCS systems, information/data management systems, relational databases and interfacing (especially OPC) is preferred;
- Knowledge of ERP, active directory, DNS, IP networks and virtualization is a plus;
- Experience working with remote teams is a plus.
- Willingness to travel in Europe is mandatory. Travel can be for a short period of time or longer assignments (e.g. commissioning, tests at customer site, if required).