Maidenhead, United Kingdom
We are currently recruiting for a Chief Engineer / Team Leader for our Central Engineering Services team based at our Head Office in Maidenhead, Berkshire.
Central Engineering Services provides engineering solutions to the whole of the Costain Group and strives to be a centre of excellence in technical support to the Costain contracts. The workload is predominately related to the design and checking of temporary works but includes a broader scope of engineering support to provide both reliable and innovative solutions to a wide range of engineering problems. Some travel within the UK including some nights away to visit projects.
Reporting to the Group Chief Engineer, key responsibilities will include:
- Delivery of first class technical support to Costain projects.
- Working in accordance with Costain procedures for TW management.
- Temporary works design from brief to issue of final drawings.
- Preparation of Design Risk Assessments including the development of appropriate design mitigation and communication with others in the construction process.
- Temporary works design checking (including checks on supply chain proposals).
- Contribute to Costain safety targets by pro-active leadership.
- Delivering value to Costain clients by consistently being the best at what we do.
- Develop relationships with internal and external client teams.
- Ensure Costain process for temporary works management is applied fully and efficiently.
- Site visits to audit the temporary works process as part of a scored SHE audit.
- Site visits to aid identification of temporary works requirements and preparation of temporary works design briefs.
- Contribute to technical training and development of personnel from Costain and its business partners.
- Supervise the work of external consultants carrying out design work on behalf of Costain Engineering Services.
- Contribute to the control of risk by identifying issues and providing appropriate responses.
- Contribute to continuous improvement by leading team meetings and contributing to the team development topics.
- Recover via charge-out an agreed target to meet the CES department budgets.
- Use the available IT equipment efficiently.
- Lead teams of design engineers on complex temporary works designs.
- Allocate design work to Principal Engineers and others in the design team.
- Ensure design teams are delivering output to agreed schedules and standards.
- Degree level (or equivalent) in Civil or Structural Engineering.
- Chartered Engineer (CEng MICE / CEng MIStructE).
- Extensive office and project-based design experience.
- Thorough knowledge of the construction process.
- Experience managing a team of designers.
- Strong leadership and management skills.
- Strong communication skills, verbal and written.
- Commercial knowledge and acumen.