Nuclear Engineer (Technical Support) (P4)
IAEA - International Atomic Energy Agency
As a member of a team reporting to the Head of the Nuclear Power Engineering Section, and with leadership from the Director of the Division of Nuclear Power, the Nuclear Engineer (Technical Support) ensures a results oriented programmatic response to Member States' priorities by organizing training programmes, workshops, expert missions and technical meetings, preparing state-of-the-art reports on the procurement engineering, construction technologies/management and effective operation support for nuclear power plants in relation to assistance and advice given to Member States.
The Nuclear Engineer (Technical Support) is: (1) an expert in all aspects of engineering to construction technologies/management of nuclear power plants; (2) a technical officer, arranging and conducting activities required for the successful and timely publication of technical documents, as an outcome of tasks in the field of the procurement engineering, asset management, construction preparedness/management; (3) a scientific secretary, planning and leading moderately complex technical meetings, and; (4) a partnership builder, establishing, developing and maintaining an international network regarding the verification programme on construction preparedness and management with the international organizations.
Functions/Key Results Expected
- Coordinate, assist, facilitate and implement the various meetings organized within the scope of the procurement engineering, construction technologies/management, asset management and effective operation support for new or operating nuclear power plants;
- Prepare technical reports and guidelines on construction technologies/management for new or expansion nuclear power programme, and asset management of operating nuclear power plants;
- Follow important trends with a view to providing the information to improve the performance and enhance safety, and mitigate the material degradation processes of system structure and components in operating nuclear power plants;
- Provide advice and technical assistance, as required, to Member States for specific projects in the field of the procurement engineering, asset management, construction preparedness and management of nuclear power plants;
- Contribute, as appropriate, to preparation of the IAEA's programme, financial plan, annual reports, etc.;
- Convene consultancies, technical meetings or workshops, and support coordinated research projects resulting in the development of technical publications.
Planning and Organizing
- Plans and organizes his/her own work in support of achieving the team or Section’s priorities. Takes into account potential changes and proposes contingency plans.
- Communicates orally and in writing in a clear, concise and impartial manner. Takes time to listen to and understand the perspectives of others and proposes solutions.
- Takes initiative in defining realistic outputs and clarifying roles, responsibilities and expected results in the context of the Department/Division’s programme. Evaluates his/her results realistically, drawing conclusions from lessons learned.
- Actively contributes to achieving team results. Supports team decisions.
- Analyses information to identify cause and effect relationships and correlations. Identifies critical elements and assesses consequences of different courses of action and proposes solutions.
Knowledge sharing and learning
- Actively seeks learning opportunities and actively shares knowledge and information with others; shares specialized knowledge, skills and learning from experience across different situations and contexts effectively.
- Ensures that work is in compliance with internationally accepted professional standards and scientific methods. Provides scientifically/technically accepted information that is credible and reliable.
- Identifies and builds partnerships. Develops and maintains long lasting partnerships to strengthen relationships. Delivers programmatic outputs and acquires resources in support of Agency goals.
Other Technical Engineering
- Maintaining and repairing programmes for buildings and civil structures of NPPs, preparing state-of-the-art reports on the design of civil structures.
Nuclear Engineering and Technology
- Expertise in advanced construction technologies/management programme, building technologies and quality control/management programme for new NPPs.
Nuclear Power Construction Management and Technology
- Expertise in principles and developments relating to the field of advanced construction technologies/commissioning procedures.
Qualifications, Experience and Language skills
- Advanced university degree in the field of nuclear, mechanical or electrical engineering;
- At least 7 years of working experience in nuclear engineering, and nuclear plant management;
- Experience of working in a national/international nuclear organization or institute desirable;
- In-depth knowledge of and experience in the scientific/technical principles and developments relating to the field of construction preparedness and management, quality control programme for new nuclear power plants, and system, structure and component degradation processes and their mitigation for operating nuclear power plants;
- Experience in technical writing in English in order to produce and review documents related to procurement engineering, construction technologies/management for new nuclear power plants, and effective operation support in nuclear power plants;
- Excellent oral and written command of English. Knowledge of other official IAEA languages (Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian and Spanish) is an asset.